Monday, December 3, 2018

Handmade Santa

 I planned on starting my Christmas cards but instead I purchased a Santa pattern to make some Santa dolls. This Santas is 9" tall.
 I started making Santa dolls the afternoon on the 20th of November, 5 days later I had 5 dolls finished. Two of those days, I was gone through the day.
 The dolls were made with good quality muslin I had in my stash. I had a scrap piece of vintage red wool felt to make five coats and hats. I wish I had more of this nice vintage material that is no longer available.
 I looked at a few places to buy wool for the beard and hair but didn't find any at three craft stores. I know I've got some but with my back like it is now, I didn't go looking through my stash.
At JoAnn's I found this yarn by Bernat. I used double sided tape and glue to apply the yarn for hair and beard for my Santa dolls.
 I painted the dolls arms, legs and face with gesso. A portion of the legs was painted with Dina Wakley Night paint to look like boots. I used a watered down Dina Wakley magenta scribble sticks over the gesso on face.
 I sewed on a small jingle bell on each hat, this size of bell was purchased last week at HL in Christmas area. White felt from HL was cut using a ruler and rotary cutter. I wish they had what I used years ago on my larger Santas.
 Everything was made using needle and thread except the beard. I have a Bernia sewing machine but it wasn't used to make my Santa Dolls.
 Thanks for looking and have a nice day!

No comments: